Covered Topics

Please see the list of the topics I've covered. It's located near the bottom of the page. Thanks for stopping in!!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Test of Ubuntu 10.10 "live" CD




Yesterday I tested Ubuntu 10.10 - Maverick Meerkat "live" CD release.

After downloading the iso file and burning it to CD, I booted my dual core 1.8 MHz machine to it. It took about 2.5 minutes to boot from the P.O.S.T. screen to the desktop. As I said in my last post, this is about typical of my experience with a "live" CD boot.

Ubuntu 10.10 auto-detected my HP printer and prompted me to install the HPLIP utility and drivers. Very cool!

Other observations:

1) This distribution has Open Office
2) Screen capture applet shows in the screen captures here - I suspect this is a bug
3) NO Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)
4) The gcc compiler does come with the "live" CD
5) The buttons to close, expand, or reduce active windows have been moved to the upper left-hand side of the windows. Why Canonical, the makers of Ubuntu, decided to do this, I don't know. I'm used to these functions being in the upper right hand corner of the window and prefer it that way.
6) Still the same GNOME desktop - the "Unity" desktop we've been hearing about lately is to occur in an upcoming "11" release.
7) As with Fedora 14, setting up my broadband access was a snap. A browser window may be seen in the following screenshot



I did not bother to try it on my 800 MHz Pentium III machine due to hardware issues.

You can get your own copy of Ubuntu 10.10 here:
www.ubuntu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are welcome! Spam, or any abusive or profane comments will be deleted.