Covered Topics

Please see the list of the topics I've covered. It's located near the bottom of the page. Thanks for stopping in!!

Monday, December 3, 2012

Current Trends in Computing



My regular readers have read my posts dealing with current trends in computing -  such as some of the new LINUX desktops which strikingly resemble iPhones and the "ribbon" interface in Micro$oft's Office.

A trend I find especially worrisome is the apparent decline in reliability and functionality of software I encounter and need to use. Blackboard LEARN,
Oracle Java, some LINUX distributions, and even Libre Office are a few outstanding examples. My previous post covered a java runtime auto-update that went horribly wrong, basically rendering my PC unusable at one of the worst times possible.

I, for one, would like to see a return to basic, solid functionality in software applications. I detest change merely for change's sake - especially when such changes remove useful features and/or break something else. I personally would like a return to straight forward, intuitive menu structures as we have had for many years, rather than the (in my opinion) mess that is Micro$oft's "ribbon". I won't even get into what I think of Windows 8 - other than its new interface is practically unusable for my purposes. But obviously mine is NOT the only viewpoint around - and I'd like to better understand what others either like or dislike about today's computing environment.


To anyone reading this - I'd love to hear your opinions on today's computing trends. If you're comfortable sharing, I'd like to know:

1) Do you like or dislike the new user interfaces? Why?

2) Are you adopting tablets, or do you (like me) still like or need the desktop/laptop paradigm? Why?

3) Have you noticed a change one way or the other in software reliability? Anything in particular stand out in your experience?

4) What OS do you favor and why?

5) Demographics? Example - occupation; level of tech savvy; approximate age group -  under 25, 26-45, 45-60, 60+, ...

6) Hobbies, interests, ...

I'd also like to hear from any software developers their design rationale, their intended audience, how long they have been in the business, ...

And don't forget to download any backups you might need of Java 1.6.34 BEFORE Oracle removes these from its web site.  See my previous post for details on why.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are welcome! Spam, or any abusive or profane comments will be deleted.